Monday, December 28, 2009

What a day

On Sunday, a friend of ours who knows livestock stopped by and checked Bell. He said, "Oh yeah, there's a calf in there, and she's going to calf within the week. Maybe not in the next 24 hours, but definitely within the week."

This morning I go out to do chores, and there lays a calf. She's mostly dried off, but shivering. Now what? Nothing like a shivering calf to clarify my inexperience! What a blessing to have friends. I made 4 phone calls and within an hour there were three guys there helping me get the calf started off right.

Once I felt we had done all we could for her, I went to an interview with UPS and was offered a part time job as a driver for next day air shipments. That will probably start in February.

I came home from that, and took Sheryll and Carrie to their respective doctors. Sheryll got her staples out, and they checked Carrie's bilirubin because she looked jaundiced. Her number came back very high, so we had to check her back into the hospital so that they could put her under UV lights. Once we got her settled in, I came home so I could get the calf another feeding and milk the cow. Sheryll will spend the night in the hospital with Carrie.

I'm going to bed!

Sid and I help the calf find the "spigot".

Don Ost, the gentleman we bought the cow from came to help as well.

Here's the line of cars that came to our rescue.


3 comments:

  1. How exciting!!! What did you name her?

    We will pray for a quick return home for Carrie. If you'd get some sunshine you could fix that bilirubin yourself in your own home!

    I still laugh every time I think of my retired Navy brother 'out knowing' (there's a new word for ya) the veterinarian. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cool~ your instincts about the calf. And how incredibly blessed you are to have people to help.

    I will be praying for Carrie, that she will be able to come home soon. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on the calf and the baby! I'm sure they will both do just fine.
    Tonya

    ReplyDelete